My New iPad eBook Available!

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just published an iPad eBook - Pleasant Moments in Bonsai - which can be previewed and purchased at http://store.blurb.com/ebooks/382953-pleasant-moments-in-bonsai.

It may also be coming out through iTunes for general viewing in the near future.

This is essentially a collection of around 40 of my best photos of my trees over the years.

Enjoy.

G52

Hey, milehigh! Are you still in Nevada? Seems I recall some talk of moving elsewhere.

That big Utah juniper I collected near Ely is still very healthy, but I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. I'd put it in a pot if I had one that big!

Hope you're well.

G52

Hope you are well, we miss you dreadfully around here.... Nice to see you publishing another book!
And of course I must ask, how is the larch? I think about it often.

I see Dan is doing the Lone Star Bonsai Fed. convention, I'd love to be able to be there.
Regards,
JudyB

Hi Judy,

Both I and the larch are doing well - hope you are too.

The larch, of course, is in one of its most beautiful moods this time of year, with vivid green little bursts of bottle brush foliage. Dan, BTW, seems to think it could be shipped safely enough to endure some cheaper shipping method. He went over his thoughts about that when he was over here the other day, so maybe we can re-discuss that - send me an email if you'd like me to look into it again either before it gets too hot, or preferably once it goes dormant again in the fall.

We're coming out of hibernation as well, out in the yard, taking walks, enjoying the sun-breaks, etc. A new pair of bald eagles look to be starting a nest in a Doug fir to the south along the water, and my wife saw a family of black bears foraging along the beach the other day as well, so springtime here is full of signs of life.

Yes, Dan was thrilled to be asked to fill in at the Texas convention, although the circumstances were unfortunate. I'll let him know you're doing well.

The little eBook here was fun to put together. The company who does this has an extremely simple - though limited - little program I used. They could make a print book out of this little one as well, but for many of the best photos of my own trees I only had small files I had made for posting on the web, and without the huge raw files or TIFF files I used for Dan's trees in Gnarly Branches the resolution of printed pictures would be unattractively low.

I'm thinking, however, of making another little iPad eBook, or just a regular eBook, featuring a number of my photos of Dan's trees from Gnarly Branches - these would be printable in a soft or hardcover form as well, if I wanted to do so, and such a book might appeal to people who don't want to read his whole life story, but just enjoy the trees. I'll see how this little one with my trees does, and see if Dan wants to do the other.

Gnarly Branches is still slowly selling - I'll likely sell out the rest of the printing in another year or so. Not bad for a little niche book in today's market, but not likely to inspire me to do a second printing. :)

Dan and I have talked on several occasions about making another book to augment Gnarly - you might appreciate this, having toured his garden with him, listening to him explain each tree. My concept is to take ten or twelve of his most ancient and interesting trees, and have him tell their stories, pointing out the little details on these ancient survivors that tell how they grew in nature over the centuries in harsh climates. I would take photos of these little details as he talked, and record and later edit his descriptions.

Each tree would get 10-12 pages, for a doable 120 page book, and the photography would be much more straightforward than the laborious productions for Gnarly. We could do the initial interviews and photography over a single weekend. He would be the author, not me. The printing would be smaller, maybe 500 books max - just for the true aficionados - but would really capture, in a way that Gnarly did not, the true depth of his life's work, the stuff that only he knows after a lifetime in the wilds.

Also thinking, along other lines, of a quick little iPad or eBook thingy of some cheesecake photos of my wife's flowers in the yard. She has entire hard drives devoted to this obsession. Some people might like a little book of such on their iPads, and, hey, I'm head of a publishing company (LOL), so what the heck. If she'll take the time to pick out the photos, I'll publish it!

Anyway, email or PM me about the larch if you want me to try again with Dan's shipping methodology.

Best regards,

Will

the true depth of his life's work, the stuff that only he knows after a lifetime in the wilds.

There's the crux of that book! I'll bet there are more stories, and nuggets in there, than would fit even in 120 pages.
Visiting Elandan was truly more than ever imagined. It opened my eyes to a different scope and timescale. An education in many ways that informs how I do things now.
Glad you are well, and spring is approaching.

Great to hear you're doing well Will! I miss you and Victrinia and Eric quite a bit. Your absence has been felt. Good luck with your eBook!!

Chris

Back
Top Bottom