JWP - de-candling vs. Shoot pruning

Gilad

Yamadori
Reaction score
hi everyone,

As being very, very new to bonsai, i was reading a little about JWP development and balancing; online (bonsai4Me is very helpful!) and the Pine masters book . I acquires 2 JWP from a nursery (online) and next spring will change their soil (keeping them in large pots). both need branchs and trunk development before styling can begin. I am not sure I understand the different approaches when it come to de- candling versus shoot pruning. As far as I understand, immature trees in development will need shoot pruning while "finished" tress require de-candling. any insights?

Decandling is typically reserved for vigorous growers like J blk pine and J red pine. JWP is not decandled, as a rule, at any point in their training. Why don't you post some pics of your trees here and perhaps we can give you some advice on what can be done now.

Decandling is typically reserved for vigorous growers like J blk pine and J red pine. JWP is not decandled, as a rule, at any point in their training. Why don't you post some pics of your trees here and perhaps we can give you some advice on what can be done now.

Thanks! I'll get some pics ASAP

Decandling and shoot pruning are refinement techniques used for developed trees. Different techniques are used for trees in development.

Scott

JBP and JRP will produce a second flush of foliage. JWP will not which is why they are not decandled.

Back
Top Bottom