Japanese Maple Air Layers.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have attempted just a few and my results have been less than stellar. Curious as to when the best time is. I mean, how early can this be done in the growing season. Those who have had success please respond.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In years past I have always done them after the leaves harden and they are ready to separate in mid to late July. This year I am trying some at bud break. I will let you know how that goes. What are you using as substrate? I have the highest success using damp milled sphagnum and hormodin #3.

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've layered many maples over the past 3 years. Can you describe what you've done and how they've failed?

The two common times to start the layer are in late winter, just before bud break, and after hardening in mid spring.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In years past I have always done them after the leaves harden and they are ready to separate in mid to late July.
Same. I shred my sphagnum moss and use Hormex #8. I truly hate getting the moss off, but it seems to work wonders.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The only JM layers I’ve struggled to root are from my shishigashira. Regular JMs root like crazy. I’ve used all sorts of medium; shredded sphagnum, fine akadama, less-fine akadama, perlite and coco coir. All seem to work well for me.

View attachment 536257View attachment 536258
When in the season do you apply the layer?

Contact

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I usually make my airlayers around between half of April and half of May, separate the layer in September but sometime I've decided tò remove the layer in the next spring (if I have not so many roots). I use sphagnum, but this year I will try pumice with some normal garden soil...difficult to manage new roots in the sphagnum.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
April start and separation in October depending on temperature. I don't use hormone to avoid excessive callus formation.

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
When in the season do you apply the layer?
I’ve only ever started layers during the growing season after leaves harden off. I’ll be starting a few layers on harder to root plants like Ume at bud break next spring though as I’ve had difficulty rooting my pink Ume this season.

Punch46

Seed
Reaction score
I have attempted just a few and my results have been less than stellar. Curious as to when the best time is. I mean, how early can this be done in the growing season. Those who have had success please respond.
Hi new to the group..
We live in BC Canada Chilliwack 600ft up Chilliwack mountain , we have a fairly large garden , numerous Rhodos, and over 80 different Japanese maple total just over 100.
Decided to conduct an experiment..
Air layered 11 Japanese Maples April 10th 2023 results
Koto no ito x2 Failed 3ft and 4ft branch attempted
Sieryu x2 success 4ft and 6ft branch
Amber ghost failed 5ft branch
Chisio success 4ft branch
Katsura x2 1success 4ft branch
Sango Kaku x 2 success 5ft and 6ft
Aureus branch died failed 3ft branch.
Checked for roots 3rd week July cut and potted 6 air layers in 2 gallon pots in potting mix medium placed in shade. Watered every 3rd day..Checked root ball end Sept , could not believe the amount of roots put out.
Planted in new garden mid October 2023.
All survived the miserable winter we experienced in BC Canada, showing vigorous growth.
Conclusion ..experiment total success.
This year I plan on layering about 25 fairly long branches.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi new to the group..
We live in BC Canada Chilliwack 600ft up Chilliwack mountain , we have a fairly large garden , numerous Rhodos, and over 80 different Japanese maple total just over 100.
Decided to conduct an experiment..
Air layered 11 Japanese Maples April 10th 2023 results
Koto no ito x2 Failed 3ft and 4ft branch attempted
Sieryu x2 success 4ft and 6ft branch
Amber ghost failed 5ft branch
Chisio success 4ft branch
Katsura x2 1success 4ft branch
Sango Kaku x 2 success 5ft and 6ft
Aureus branch died failed 3ft branch.
Checked for roots 3rd week July cut and potted 6 air layers in 2 gallon pots in potting mix medium placed in shade. Watered every 3rd day..Checked root ball end Sept , could not believe the amount of roots put out.
Planted in new garden mid October 2023.
All survived the miserable winter we experienced in BC Canada, showing vigorous growth.
Conclusion ..experiment total success.
This year I plan on layering about 25 fairly long branches.
Hello and welcome to the nut house! Glad to have you. That’s a pretty decent outcome. Some JM just don’t air layer. What is your air layer technique and preferred substrate? Also, there’s a list Here that has a long list of cultivars that will and won’t propagate.

Punch46

Seed
Reaction score
No prefered substrate I just use as a
medium ,Vigaro all purpose potting soil, wet softball size wrapped in plastic produce bag taped at both ends, wrapped again in black cloth ( old tee shirts 😁 ) tied with twine at both ends. No rooting hormones either, but as I said it was an experiment and I'm still learning.

Top Bottom