Japanese Black Pine "Mi Nishiki"

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
very nice tree. It could become a nice hankengai or kengai style.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
@TR8Driver do you know the meaning of "Mi" in "Mi Nishiki" ?
I know the cultivar "Nishiki" ( = corticosa) but is there any difference with the "Mi Nishiki" cultivar ?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Somewhere I read that the originator, Chuck Shane(?) had a cultivar known as Nishiki, but had slightly different characteristics than another known Nishiki, and so he named his Mi Nishiki, as a word play on ‘my’ Nishiki, and propagated it as a separate cultivar. I‘ve looked around for where I read that, but haven’t stumbled on it yet.

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
Brian is essentially correct;

Hi Clem,

Don't know the meaning of the name.

-Darrell

From Brent's website (the conifer specimen page):

The origin of these trees is from a single tree owned by Chuck Shane in Sebastopol CA, now of North Carolina. Chuck obtained his tree from his sensei probably about thirty or forty years ago. As was common among Japanese bonsai masters in year's past, they would select a tree with outstanding characteristics and propagate it for themselves. Thus, these trees became cultivars, although they were not always named, other than to attribute the tree to the master and designate as a Nishiki Kuro Matsu, or Yatsubusa for example. So, Chuck began calling this cultivar "his nishiki". On a whim I suggested he name it 'Mi Nishiki' and the name stuck.

Top Bottom