Is it too early for me to be wiring movement into this sapling?

Bp1313

Seedling
Reaction score
I believe it’s a Himalayan cedar sapling. Is it too soon for me to be wiring in movement?

Also, the DK bonsai book said to cut the tap root and put it in a bonsai soil like akadama. It put it in akadama and lava rock.

Will this soil slow down its growth?

IMG_2659.jpeg

Root work/cutting the tap root, as well as wiring, will most certainly slow down growth for a time. Still, these are necessary actions to carry out early on. The goal is to wire out younger more flexible stock, like your seedling, because you can create more significant bends as now as apposed to later when the plant has grown on and is significantly less flexible. With that being said, I'd actually try to put more movement into your seedling now, and do it in both side to side and front to back directions... pro tip... gently twist the seedling and the wire at the same time, in the direction that the wire is wrapped, while you gently create bends.

It’s entirely possible to put movement in seedlings/cuttings of the size shown in the phot above prior to potting. One must take extreme care not to trap anny needles or damage any buds or growth will be stalled. This requires

After potting it’s harder until the roots establish themselves. Also pot on an angle.

The media size is a bit large from what I can see. Tried lots of media for growing out small seedlings. Presently using 50% either peat or coco coir or composted manure and 50% 1/8-3/16“ perlite or pumice. Many growers just use a premium growers mix to grow out seedlings.

Then switch to bonsai mix once the tree grows out to mid development.

Please edit your data and add your approximate location and usda growing zone To help us help better answer your questions.

cheers
DSD sends

Make sure you put stronger bends in than you want to end up with. As it grows the bends will smoothen out.

Always curious why people come and ask questions AFTER they have done something.

Hand up, I’ve definitely done it. I think sometimes it’s a function of the timescale the practice of bonsai occurs over and the series of important decisions that are made along the way. Oftentimes there’s a lot of time to ponder over a decision after the fact and talk yourself into it being a mistake, then seeking validation either way by asking the question.

Doesn’t mean you can reverse the decision but it’s usually a some kind of answer now is more fulfilling than getting the ultimate answer by waiting thing.

I believe it’s a Himalayan cedar sapling. Is it too soon for me to be wiring in movement?

Also, the DK bonsai book said to cut the tap root and put it in a bonsai soil like akadama. It put it in akadama and lava rock.

Will this soil slow down its growth?

View attachment 537790
Pines are best wired between 1-2 years. Better to do it a little later in the year so you don’t injure young buds. At this stage the tree is very flexible but also fragile.

Always curious why people come and ask questions AFTER they have done something.
Easy to understand.
In our eagerness, we dove in and did it. Then we realized we couldn't achieve our vision or sometimes failed all together. Then we ask and learn what to do and not to do. So next time we do it the right way.
Lather, rinse, repeat..... as many times as necessary until we learn to be patient. Usually when we realize we are old.

Back
Top Bottom