SmallTreeGuy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Went to Wisconsin to visit a friend and help him clear some land. On the last day I collected a tree that has a great gnarled base with a sharp turn near the ground. I have no clue what type of tree it is and was looking for some help in identifying it. Buds are just starting to break out into small leaves and it seems that they will be small in general when fully hardened off. The bark is light grey/whitish and has a sort of east Texas cedar type of peeling bark. It’s a deciduous tree for sure and the bark seems different than the bark of a birch. I really have no clue what it is.

I was able to get a great root ball about 1.5 ft diameter and a foot deep with many fine roots. Trunk is about 4 inches in diameter at the base.it also has some very young pinkish purple buds (haven’t started opening up yet) coming straight out of the trunk in some places toward the base.

Anyone have any idea? Not too sure if the pictures are good enough as it was getting dark when I was able to grab my phone and take pics, so I apologize for that. Any help with an ID would be greatly appreciated! I can grab better pictures tomorrow when it’s brighter out.

Ps: In the last image, I’ve circled one of the buds coming out from the trunk as well.

Cheers

IMG_4238.jpegIMG_4236.jpegIMG_4234.jpegIMG_4234.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I agree with @19Mateo83 looks like a honeysuckle. You'll have to wait for blooms to know which kind.

Next time you'll have to come up when the bonsai collection is open.

SmallTreeGuy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ahhhhh that makes sense! Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the responses! Never seen honeysuckle on my property with this much of a trunk so I was pretty stumped.

Cheers!

Top Bottom