Hoses and watering wands

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got a couple of shohin’s but mainly big trees here aswell. I guess either is gonna have enough of a gentle flow
Sames heads on both, just the longer one gives better reach for larger trees and larger collections where you're watering multiple shelves and pots.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hose: I use the flexzilla hose. This is also the same hose used by the three gardens I learn at.
Wand: Various Dramm models but currently the Kaleidoscope wand. These wands are currently my favorite, but be aware, Dramm's squeeze-type (as opposed to turn-closed) valve can get sticky over time and have trouble closing when you unsqueeze your hand (in other words, you've unsqueezed, but the valve doesn't close and water keeps flowing). So if buy-it-for-life is a factor, go for the turn-closed valve types with Dramm products.
Flexzilla is the best!

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Flexzilla is the best!

As a former K-town resident familiar with your area (w/ my folks still living there), I'm very curious how well this hose does in that climate. If I was still in that zone, I'd pack it up (along with the wand) over the winter to prevent any severe cold damage. To be fair, no signs on my end that cold is any problem, but it's only got down to -10C here and only for brief periods of time.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
As a former K-town resident familiar with your area (w/ my folks still living there), I'm very curious how well this hose does in that climate. If I was still in that zone, I'd pack it up (along with the wand) over the winter to prevent any severe cold damage. To be fair, no signs on my end that cold is any problem, but it's only got down to -10C here and only for brief periods of time.
This is only my second year with the hose. I never put it way for the winter, and it froze through many times. It's been thawed now and no problems, just needed some tightening at the joints.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I picked up one of the copper wands with a valve from Bonsai Tonight, plus a nozzle adapter kit. Originally, I had issues with getting the adapter's hose section to stay on the wand if there was basically any pressure in the hoze. My wife was able to find one of these hose clamps (though mine is plastic), and that has been phenomenal at keeping the hose attached to the wand. I love the combo, and my Eley hose and reel have both been great

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have several DRAMM, Red Head, Lemon Head, 170AL and 480AL, and FOGG-IT Super Fine 2 and 4 GPM. For big trees the Red Head is best, but for the smaller ones I have now I use the 480AL, hard to find but it has the same hole pattern as the Red Head on a smaller package. I use the Fogg-It as misters when we don't have much rain in the area. I also have the Joshua Roth Masakuni clone, it is great as it is gentle when you restrict the flow and strong when you use the water full pressure, helps a lot cleaning up roots when repotting. Maybe one day I will get a copper Kaneshin, as the prices have come down a little bit.

1711560170122.png

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I use DRAMM wands with various spray heads - the cast aluminum 400 spray head or the 1000 spray head with the rubber protective ring. The also have a fine and mist nozzle that I plan on getting in the future.

I also only use 3/4" commercial hoses.

keithl

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't have mame trees. If you do, that one might be good. I have a lot of larger trees, so i have this one.
How do you attach this to a hose? It doesnt appear to have a normal screw in base like nozzles sold in the US. It almost like like it goes inside the hose?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How do you attach this to a hose? It doesnt appear to have a normal screw in base like nozzles sold in the US. It almost like like it goes inside the hose?
the end fits into the end of a hose which has to have the metal coupling removed. It slides in and you clamp it place with hose clamps. I used a three foot, flexible hose cut one end off, kept the female metal coupling at one end to attach to a regular garden hose. Not hard to do.

Attachments

• kaneshin.jpg
    kaneshin.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 22

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
For big trees the Red Head is best, but for the smaller ones I have now I use the 480AL, hard to find but it has the same hole pattern as the Red Head on a smaller package
Do you find that the 480AL is more gentle than the Red Head? The red head is decent, but it still tends to move a lot of soil and I've found it to be a bit too strong for many things.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you find that the 480AL is more gentle than the Red Head? The red head is decent, but it still tends to move a lot of soil and I've found it to be a bit too strong for many things.
You can make it be, I use a valve to connect it and also have a DRAMM Touch-n-Flow handle. I set the pressure I want with the valve so that I can squeeze the handle all the way and have a gentle flow. With the red one, since the perforated area is bigger you will need more water pressure so it doesn't just drip from the end. If you want something gentler, get a Japanese wand, either the Kaneshin posted by @rockm or the Masakuni or Joshua Roth. Those you can definitely use for watering even seedlings on pure perlite without disturbing the soil.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
i usually water mine with a cup lol, cuz they are kinda small and I'm afraid to use hoses
Check out the DRAMM 510 and 610 nozzles. The 510 is designed for seedlings and delivers only 1/2 gallon per minute. The 610 is a mister and delivers only 1/4 gallon per minute.

510.jpg

610.jpg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dunno if this was mentioned before…. Bill Valvavanis posted the results of his trials of watering wands a couple weeks ago. Folks might be interested in this article.

“New Watering Nozzle Discovery”

I would not plan on using the Melnor ($14.45 Amazon) quick release plastic fittings unless one is exceptionally careful. Choose brass instead. We purchased and tested two of these one year. One broke off in short order, other lasted about 4 months before getting broken. We switched to brass….there have been-no failures for over three years.

cheers
DSD sends

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think, but I can't say for certain, that Bjorn had the Melnor 33" ultra-fine wands at Eisei-en

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Dunno if this was mentioned before…. Bill Valvavanis posted the results of his trials of watering wands a couple weeks ago. Folks might be interested in this article.

“New Watering Nozzle Discovery”

I would not plan on using the Melnor ($14.45 Amazon) quick release plastic fittings unless one is exceptionally careful. Choose brass instead. We purchased and tested two of these one year. One broke off in short order, other lasted about 4 months before getting broken. We switched to brass….there have been-no failures for over three years.

cheers
DSD sends
I picked up a Melnor wand from a big box store (the blue one, I think) after one of my wands broke over winter due to a freeze (oops, but also perhaps good riddance?). So far, I quite like it. I've only had it a few weeks but I might switch my Dramm redhead wand with this one as it is both much gentler and surprisingly has much greater reach and a longer range. The handle is comfier taboot. I can't speak to the durability, but we will see!

I do think my next wand will likely be a brass one, or else there will be no end to "next wands".

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The melnor wand/head delivers water about as soft as the Dramm redhead, but not as broad a spray. Its reasonably fine spray. Its replaced the Dramm for me, when I want to put down a lot of water quickly. It still not in the same class as the Masakuni wand.

Top Bottom