Ficus Benjamina ’Too Little’ progression thread

Jok

Seedling
Reaction score
In this thread I am going to post some pictures of a future mame ficus. For now it’s in a training clay pot in a mix of 3-5mm equal parts pumice, lava and akadama. Wires have just been attached. I forgot to give the tree a size reference item in the photos. As for now it stands 13cm high from the nebari to its top leaf.

Picture 1: the tree how it looks today
Picture 2: plan for the future. Orange line is the future trunk line, blue numbers the branches and red resembles a planned trunk shop.
Picture 3: nebari with good radial roots that I hope will make a good flare in the future.
IMG_2106.jpegIMG_2106.jpegIMG_2108.jpeg
Since I live in a colder climate this tree almost never get to be outside. For now it sits in a bright southern facing window and when winter is approaching it will sit under strong LED-lights.

The plan is to let it grow till next summer. Then I will restrict the growth in a smaller and shallow pot. Hopefully I will have some good ramification on the main branches by then.

As soon as I do any work on the tree I will update this thread. Let me know if you have any questions. Enjoy!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great plan! I look forward to seeing this develop. Tiny benjaminas have become a little bit of an obsession for me.

You might get it to throw a little bud just below where you are planning your #2 branch, then you could cut off that fat stub and grow the bud out in its place. You might have better luck than I have had, but I find that branches that originate from a stub don't ever look very natural.

Top Bottom