Creek side valley oak stump

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So last year I noticed this oak, and decided to clean it a few wild branches. I checked on it 2 weeks ago and the chop is healing over crazy fast! I need to contact the medical office close by to see if If its their property or if its maintained by the city. I don't predict ill have any issues with getting permission, considering it had been chopped down at about 15 inches. She sure is a fatty lol.

Casey

Attachments

• 20171216_154152.jpg
    20171216_154152.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 20171216_154037.jpg
    20171216_154037.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 84

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I do this often...preparing trees in ground. It's really a schoolbook example to see how good they can heal wounds comparing to those no-no healers grown in pots. And I always have some useful tools, esp. concave pruners with me to achieve best possible results...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
As you can see I just used regular branch cutters lol. I'm just wondering if I should shorten those 2 primary branches now, or if I should wait till the buds begin to swell. After chopping those 2 branches back its going to be one hell of a task keeping the undesirable shoots at bay

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Central California, I'd do it closer to spring. And one more important thing, have you checked the roots? Oaks in dirt often have a long taproot. If it has some finer roots closer to the top of soil then it's good. If not you might need some few years of preparation before it's safe to collect.
Think about size and style when deciding which branches are keepers. There's nothing better than having enough branches to pick some.:)

Top Bottom