Cotoneaster are fun!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Cotoneaster are not really trees, so why bother to have them look like Cotoneaster?

Very easy to propagate from cuttings, widely available in garden centers for cheap, and fun to work with.

June 22nd, 2008:

20111230104855-4c66bedd.jpg

20111230104857-79b92d48.jpg

Etc.

Today:

20160605175504-d8845c58-me.jpg

20160605175505-aa69b061-me.jpg

I absolutely love them! For some reason, I have the death touch. Not sure if it is the root work I don't understand or the timing or what but I can't keep em to save my life...

I just picked up my first one yesterday. Called Tom Thumb. Dwarf with TINY leaves. Looks fun. Hope I don't kill it.

A native of western China, ‘Tom Thumb’ is thought to be a relative of Cotoneaster horizontalis, though some experts are now saying it’s more likely a relative of C. adpressus or C. apiculatus

A native of western China, ‘Tom Thumb’ is thought to be a relative of Cotoneaster horizontalis, though some experts are now saying it’s more likely a relative of C. adpressus or C. apiculatus

Cotoneaster are not really trees, so why bother to have them look like Cotoneaster?

20160605175505-aa69b061-me.jpg

Very nice progression photos. I like the thicker roots over the rock, they convey age and the power of survival of this little tree.

I just pruned a cotoneaster I have... put like 20 cuttings in the ground like a month ago (autumn down here) and they still look green.
They look soo cool as garden shrubs

Like them a lot but lost all of them along with the others last year. I bought this one a few weeks ago and in true fashion it is sturdy and growing good. Variegated Rock Cotoneaster -

IMG_0475.JPG

IMG_0478.JPG

Grimmy

Nice! :cool:

I just bought one 1 month ago, I re-potted it, pruned it and it's already sending new shoots all over, though little buggers I may say :)

The problem for the moment: the foliage is so dense with a bad habits of sending branches downward I have the hardest time locating the ones I want to get rid off :D

Here's my new little guy. Just cleaned up the roots and potted. Gonna trim up a bit next.
I believe Grimmy recommend these for my top 10 must have trees for a newbie. Up to 30 now...

Attachments

• IMG_20160609_204231448.jpg
    IMG_20160609_204231448.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_20160610_132403256.jpg
    IMG_20160610_132403256.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 218
It will be littler by the weekend:)

So what's about repotting my thumby Tom now?

I really want to get it out of the nursery can/soil find the base, and establish a beginning....

Guessing not this 100 degree weekend...
But maybe with my Mugo in a couple few weeks....

Sorce

So what's about repotting my thumby Tom now?

If you want to replant it without the Nursery soil wait until Spring and go pretty heavy on the water. For now I would just leave it in the container or slip pot it into a bigger one using a similar soil. You could then raise it higher in the pot and check out the base, lose the lower inner crap, etc... Tom Thumbs are way to green for me but are certainly a neat color addition to a bench ;)

Grimmy

If you want to replant it without the Nursery soil wait until Spring and go pretty heavy on the water. For now I would just leave it in the container or slip pot it into a bigger one using a similar soil. You could then raise it higher in the pot and check out the base, lose the lower inner crap, etc... Tom Thumbs are way to green for me but are certainly a neat color addition to a bench ;)

Grimmy

It is the leaving it in nursery soil over winter that I don't like....

It's almost a certain death sentence with my habits.

All this yard and new spaces to winter...
But I still don't feel like babying shiot !

Sorce

It is the leaving it in nursery soil over winter that I don't like....

Think of it this way -

Find another Nursery pot larger.
Put that pot inside of it mulched in at the base and sides.
I give them about an inch to two inches of mulch.
Prop the double pot about a half inch or better off the ground.
Place it in a not so windy place, here I do a North wall on the ground.
It is a good alternative for a LOT of plants when first growing or trying them ;)

Grimmy

I absolutely love them! For some reason, I have the death touch. Not sure if it is the root work I don't understand or the timing or what but I can't keep em to save my life...

I see in your profile that you live in Las Vegas: I suspect that the climate there is much too hot and dry for most cotoneaster species to keep healthy.

I'm sure that you can, find local species that can thrive in your climate and that look similar and can be trained in a same manner.

PS:
Have you heard of these people who grow Ficus bonsaï in Sweden, or those who ski in "indoor ski slopes" the desert of Dubai or Qatar?...
Or how to deplete the world resources for an egotistic fantasy...

I can't but resist from posting this video showing how stupid and puny this kind of thing is. Like being a "Playmobil" in a freezer, so funny...

:oops::p:D:eek::D:D:D:D:D

That is actually pretty neat! Amazing what oil money can do! In any case yea Las Vegas is horrible for many plants that others grow. However I am finding more and more natives but that's for another thread. ;-)

Little bit littler.
Trying not to kill it yet although breaking all the rules again.

Attachments

• IMG_20160612_120257549.jpg
    IMG_20160612_120257549.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 207
Back
Top Bottom