Bucida spinosa

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hello all,

South Florida rookie who recently got my first bonsai tree after being interested for years. I was told it is a black olive but the nursery didn’t know how old it is or when it was reported.

Being new to this I don’t I know much about pruning but did read that I should remove small branches that were crossing each other to create space between major branches which I did.

The issue I’m having is deciding what style to go for since it doesn’t appear to have a central trunk past the branches to make the apex. Any suggestions on design ideas would be appreciated.

I started off with it inside in front of a large window and watering daily but read they prefer being outdoors and watered twice a week which I’m trying now.

Any advice on care would also be great.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_6628.jpeg
    IMG_6628.jpeg
    437.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6629.jpeg
    IMG_6629.jpeg
    476.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6630.jpeg
    IMG_6630.jpeg
    399 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6631.jpeg
    IMG_6631.jpeg
    414.9 KB · Views: 26

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If you are in Zone 10 I would just water it through the winter and think about what you may want to prune in the spring which is late January for us. Keep it in as much sun as possible, I water mine when it needs it which is every day now but a little less from mid november through mid january.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thank you both!

I’m going to leave it alone until spring gets here and focus on growing some moss.

I ordered Kyoto moss spores which I’ve read are notoriously difficult to have success with. As I back up and to keep me interested I just went and collected this to use for now. Not sure what kind it is.

Attachments

• IMG_6669.jpeg
    IMG_6669.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I also want to work on exposing more of the roots. (Neagiri?)

How much of the soil can I brush away to expose the larger roots without upsetting the tree?

Top Bottom