Bonsai soil and Pre-bonsai soil

Reaction score
Hi there!

I have seen many people grow all their plants in akadama, pumice and lava but for pre-bonsai it becomes way too much expensive. I've come up with these mixes! Please review and any other suggestions would be good.

Seedlings
50% Perlite
50% Coco peat

Pre-Bonsai
80% Perlite
10% Coco peat
10% pine bark

Bonsai
30% Akadama
30% Pumice
30% Lava
10% Pine bark

All of these plants will be getting a top dressing of sphagnum moss except for bonsai, which will have 'actual grass-like moss'. Please suggest particle size for the mix.

I am willing to grow pines, junipers, larch, maples, apples, cherries, plum, roseberry and blueberry.

no one can answer this question for you... substrate needs to be formulated based on too many variables that are unique to you. Do some experimenting and decide for yourself what mixes work best in your garden. In spite of what everyone else does, I grow prebonsai mainly in a quality peat-based potting soil.

no one can answer this question for you... substrate needs to be formulated based on too many variables that are unique to you. Do some experimenting and decide for yourself what mixes work best in your garden. In spite of what everyone else does, I grow prebonsai mainly in a quality peat-based potting soil.
I understand, but I'm looking for people who already tested this mix as I'm a newbie and I dont want to risk my only plant

I dont want to risk my only plant
What do you have? How about a pic?
If you are a newbie you will probably lose some trees, unless you only keep a few tough species youre well read on and always stay on the safe side to a boring extent.
Cost of pumice in your area?

If you only have 1 plant you may be overthinking it. More important than substrate is learning how to care, water, and work on during the correct seasons.

One downside to perlite (and I use it quite a bit) is it's very light, so can float to the top while the coir moves down. I try to use pumice when possible.

I like pine bark fines, but it's impossible for me to find them cheap. If I get them from Bonsai jack they cost the same as pumice and lava. So I don't really bother. If you can find them, great!

I do pre-bonsai in pumice/coir also, fairly close to 50/50

If you understand when to water and fertilize, you can grow your trees, bonsai or orchids for that matter in just about anything. I grew a few orchids in rubber tire chips for a couple years just to prove a point. Actually, as a bonsai soil component, rubber tire chips are "pretty okay" though a bit unconventional.

Use the media you understand. Use the media that is available and affordable. Use the media that is aesthetically pleasing in trees near ready for display.

@johng is absolutely correct.

Now I live between Chicago and Milwaukee. I can get Akadama & Kanuma with a 75 minute drive. I can get a beautiful purple-brown crushed quartzite called "Cherrystone poultry grit" at a local Farm & Fleet. I do use a peat based Pro-Mix potting mix with extra perlite for young plants, then transition to pumice-fir bark blend as they advance. Actually I bought part of a pallet of pumice years ago, and most my trees end up in 50% or more pumice. I don't use much Akadama. Pumice & fir bark is really my main media. Top dressing with the purple quartzite is done for appearance. I like the look. As a growing media quartzite is too heavy and doesn't hold enough water, but it sure looks nice as a top dressing.

I found for azalea Kanuma is superior to other media, and rain water is important for irrigation.

For blueberries, Kanuma is not acidic enough, a blend of equal parts fir bark and Canadian peat, with roughly 60ml sulfur powder per12 litters media by volume. To this mix perlite can be added to lighten mix. Rain water should be used.

Back
Top Bottom