Bonsai Bossa JRP air layer

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The more videos I find the more I want to give this a try. I have seen quite a few on JBP, especially from Jonas trip to Onumas nursery in Japan, but I have not seen a JRP till now. Haven't searched so there may be a few more. From what I read it took him 2 years to root. Maybe it could take less time with the supplements I feed them here. I have also seen where the black pines are layered right at the node, where this JRP was clearly done about 1-2" below it.

Pic of Onuma's JBP layer.

1715607731355.png

It took me 2 years for lodgepole pine, which is in some ways slower than JRP/JBP in putting on mass, but not too much slower. Once it had a foothold, any foothold whatsoever, (i.e. once I spotted a singular root during inspection), the remainder of the roots came quite fast and within a short time there were lots of roots bunching up against the plastic.

I used the "build a pot around the layer site" method using a very strong plastic jar that I had shortened into a very squat/shallow shape and re-sewed back together with wire. I like this method for layering pines best. I didn't use any sphagnum, just pumice with a little bit of akadama. I went with that because I wanted absolute solidity and I wanted to be able to saw the top off one day and just set the pot down and not have to deal with a squirrely plastic bag.

Back
Top Bottom