Birch - next move ?

Ygg

Seed
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this tree has been in this growing container for two years. I think it‘s time to take decisions.

I need some help because I have no experience with birches. The branches are too straight, so I’m thinking about restarting from the trunk. But if I do some cuttings now, I’m afraid the it won’t be able to produce new buds.
If someone has any idea for this tree or informations about birch response, I’ll be happy to read it. Thanks (and sorry for my English which is not good, I know it)
IMG-20240220-WA0003.jpgIMG-20240220-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20240220-WA0002.jpg

@Maros is the only birch master I know about. Maybe he can provide some assistance!
I'm not birch master here by any means but I can maybe give few hints
Tree will backbud easily if cut back, no problem. Seems like good recommendation is to remove excessive buds from branch bases at the connection to the trunk.
Really good master is here in the video link, it's in German but auto-translate function works partly well

That's a nice pre-bonsai!
I love birches but they are not so easy for bonsai.
If you treat them wrong, they let die whole branches or even the trunk and sprout out from the base again.
Birches don't want to be cut in spring like acer palmatum.

Here is a video, that helped me a lot.
Birch Bonsai. Easy When You Know How!

Thanks a lot !
So maybe it's better if I don't do a hard chop right now.
What about using actual banches for thread grafting new ones, and wait summer 2025 for cuttings ?
Does thread grafting work on birches ?

This is good info as I'm about to start a birch too

Back
Top Bottom