Best Fir Bark Products?

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey all, so I have been using the ZooMed Repti-Bark product as my source for fir bark for a while but I’d like to find a better product/source without so many larger particles. I sift anything larger than ¼” out and I end up with a lot of waste that’s too large in particle size and makes sifting more of a pain in the ass. Any suggestions for a specific fir bark product that has a particle size mostly under a 1/4 inch and not too many fines?

Thanks!

I’ve been happy with my bags from Bonsai Jack. No idea if it’s the most cost effective option, but they’re usually well sifted and between 1/4-1/8” mostly.

I get my bark supplied by Unigrow in their Fine Grade Orchid Bark product. It is small sized non-composted Fir Bark. I don't have my yields on hand at the moment, but I'd say somewhere around 75% of the bag is usable. Being bark, any extra large pieces can be cut and broken down to size with some extra labour.

Unigrow supplies all of my components except for the lava rock for a decent price per usable gallon. Unfortunately, I believe they only supply the west coast.

I'd suggest going to your local nursery that has a good selection of bagged products and see what is offered. Look for products marketed towards other exotic growing hobbies.

For me, BonsaiJack's products are no where close to being a cost effective option compared to buying and sifting your own from local products. If you highly value your time and don't want to sift the bark, BonsaiJack's is a good option to go with.

I’ve been happy with my bags from Bonsai Jack. No idea if it’s the most cost effective option, but they’re usually well sifted and between 1/4-1/8” mostly.
Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll look into it. I tend to stay away from bonsai brands soil components since they seem more expensive but if it is mostly usable particle size then it might be just as cost effective really!

I get my bark supplied by Unigrow in their Fine Grade Orchid Bark product. It is small sized non-composted Fir Bark. I don't have my yields on hand at the moment, but I'd say somewhere around 75% of the bag is usable. Being bark, any extra large pieces can be cut and broken down to size with some extra labour.

Unigrow supplies all of my components except for the lava rock for a decent price per usable gallon. Unfortunately, I believe they only supply the west coast.

I'd suggest going to your local nursery that has a good selection of bagged products and see what is offered. Look for products marketed towards other exotic growing hobbies.

For me, BonsaiJack's products are no where close to being a cost effective option compared to buying and sifting your own from local products. If you highly value your time and don't want to sift the bark, BonsaiJack's is a good option to go with.
Yea my strategy has usually been to go with non bonsai specific products and do the sifting myself because it usually seems to save me money. Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into Unigrow and see if they supply the east coast.

Ops, I posted in the wrong post.....🤦

Last edited:
Another for Bonsai Jack. Good product with little if any waste. No problem with the price which I find reasonable. I value my time so searching for another source that may need sifting makes no sense to me. Since it only account for about 10% of my mix by volume, I find it goes a long way.

Back
Top Bottom