Banyan Care tips

marc09

Seedling
Reaction score
I just want to say hi to everyone. I'm glad i found this forums because i just bought a banyan tree and i'm just wondering any tips on taking care of it? Im new to Bonsai and i'm trying to find tip on how to care of my Banyan tree. My questions are:

How, what, and when to feed my tree? Any suggestion on products or fertilizers i can get? Will spraying it bi-weekly with water and a mix of liquid fertilizer will work? or do i need to use soil fertilizers?

I was planning or re-potting and pruning the roots once a year. maybe every spring? is that a good idea?

should i bring my tree outside for some sunlight everyday?

any other tips or guides i should know to keep my tree healthy?

I'm really sorry for all the beginner question but i am one and would like to really take care of my banyan tree.

Thank You :)

Hi and welcome!

Post some pictures, then we can really give you guidance on whether or not it'd be best to prune.

As to bringing it in and out everyday, I wouldn't. It would stress out the tree and make it drop leaves. Once the temps are consistently above 55F you'd be best just leaving the tree outdoors.

Oh yea, Welcome! Put your location in your profile so we can give you good help.

Thnx for the link i will read it :)

As for location i live in Northern California. Outside Temp will be at least 70-80 Degrees. I guess my bonsi will be better off indoors?

Hi and welcome!

Post some pictures, then we can really give you guidance on whether or not it'd be best to prune.

As to bringing it in and out everyday, I wouldn't. It would stress out the tree and make it drop leaves. Once the temps are consistently above 55F you'd be best just leaving the tree outdoors.

20130419_191131.jpg

here is my tree :)

so my tree is better off outdoors? hmmm im confused hehe. around spring and summer here in norcal its usually 60-80 but it really depends on a day tho

Perfect outdoors? So what if the room is in that temperature, will my bonsai be fine inside?

Outdoors would still be better for it, as it's more humid outside, and the tree doesn't have to deal with the AC and stale air. It's also much brighter outdoors.

Outdoors would still be better for it, as it's more humid outside, and the tree doesn't have to deal with the AC and stale air. It's also much brighter outdoors.

My fear is stressing the tree when im moving it in and out because it get pretty chilly here at night. Plus i hate bugs and insects :(

My fear is stressing the tree when im moving it in and out because it get pretty chilly here at night. Plus i hate bugs and insects :(

The bugs and insects won't hurt the tree ;)

You said it's 60-80 there, your tree would be more than happy. So long as it's above 55 you're fine.

thank you guys!

quick question on my bonsai indoor position tho.

is this a good place when my plant is indoors? 20130422_161140.jpg

thank you guys!

quick question on my bonsai indoor position tho.

is this a good place when my plant is indoors? View attachment 34744

How long do you plan on leaving it there? For a few days, it'll be fine. For longer... well, it's a ficus so it will probably linger for some time. But it will never thrive.

It's fascinating how much the light drops off when you step inside the house. Outside on a bright afternoon, light intensity might be 100000 lux. Inside, immediately in front of a bright window, it might be as high as 5000 lux. A couple feet away from the window and you're down to a a few hundred lux. Although its better than trying to grow plants by moonlight, it's about 1000 times less than the light it would get outdoors just outside that window in the picture. This is why most people who are forced to grow trees indoors turn eventually to a supplemental light source.

My ficus are outside in the full sun unless the night time low is predicted to drop below 40. Then it's into a sunny spot in th greenhouse - never indoors. I've had some of them for 20 years.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom