Bald Cypress Repot Root Rot Help!

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There's a recent Wigerts video I saw on this forum talking about BCs. This guy from Wigarts has to have handled more BCs than anybody and for a longer period of time and he was recomending watering them "when necessary" and not just every day. That raised some eyebrows for me cuz I soak mine too. It's an interesting video, I can't remember the title, Im sure it would be easy to find online, There's a few BC videos from Wigerts but I think this is a more recent one.
I know it’s sacrilege, but I don’t soak mine either. If the tree is sucking up tons of water, that’s one thing. But I believe the idea of soaking a BC to cause fluting isn’t science.
It isn’t sacrilege. I only soak some of my BCs. I have seen fluting mostly on BCs in swamp. The thousands of BCs I see on side walks, parks, and dry land in general has far less fluting. I have yet to see an entirely container grown BC with significant fluting, soaked or not.
I think the the water when needed approach is probably better when you are in refinement and you want the tree to slow down. In the grow out and taper building phases the dunking helps the tree grow very quickly and pack on the wood so to speak.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I think the the water when needed approach is probably better when you are in refinement and you want the tree to slow down. In the grow out and taper building phases the dunking helps the tree grow very quickly and pack on the wood so to speak.
Agree. Who wants to apply wire and having to remove in as few as 6 weeks.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the tree wasn't under mulch, My guess given your location, is the tree dried out a bit during the winter and it froze with dry roots. BC roots can freeze with no real issue, happens all them time with mine over the winter. However, with no water in the soil, roots freeze more quickly and thoroughly.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There's a recent Wigerts video I saw on this forum talking about BCs. This guy from Wigarts has to have handled more BCs than anybody and for a longer period of time and he was recomending watering them "when necessary" and not just every day. That raised some eyebrows for me cuz I soak mine too. It's an interesting video, I can't remember the title, Im sure it would be easy to find online, There's a few BC videos from Wigerts but I think this is a more recent one.
There is a big difference between the BCs that Wigerts handle and what we, mere peasants have. The trees they collect are already developed, and the trees they are developing are planted in a swampy area in their garden where all the run off water from the nursery goes down to. There is a video of them pulling a few of those trees out.

Once the tree goes from development into refinement you really shouldn't flood it. Flooding the tree cause strong growth, same as if you water pines too much, you get extra long needles when you want to keep them small.

I know it’s sacrilege, but I don’t soak mine either. If the tree is sucking up tons of water, that’s one thing. But I believe the idea of soaking a BC to cause fluting isn’t science.
If you don't water them excessively you will not get the fluting/buttress you could if you do. The below statement is 100% accurate. My 4 year nursery bought BC has better buttress than the 20+ years BCs planted in the apartment complex I am staying at.
It isn’t sacrilege. I only soak some of my BCs. I have seen fluting mostly on BCs in swamp. The thousands of BCs I see on side walks, parks, and dry land in general has far less fluting.

I have yet to see an entirely container grown BC with significant fluting, soaked or not.
Hold on one more year... I got a few experiments coming along. I just have to find a way to transplant them right now without killing them as schedule got a little hectic and they are all in leaf. But, at least I know it is easy to replicate so next season I am starting another batch.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
the tree dried out a bit during the winter and it froze with dry roots.
I think you're right on the money. I was actually incredibly lucky that the freezing was very limited. Another point (in retrospect, and as I'm sure others have observed) is that it did not have root rot. It had dead root tips due to freezing.

Top Bottom