Approach grafting roots to separate failed air-layer juniper. Would this work?

NamesakE

Mame
Reaction score
I've been trying to air layer this juniper for a couple years and despite the cambium ex. being completely detached from the rootstock it just won't root. I was thinking of rooting some whips and approach grafting 4 or 5 of them so I can eventually detach the top. Does that sound like it would work? Any suggestions when doing this? The trunk diameter is probably around an inch wide, maybe a bit more.20230718_201353.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Approach grafts have been used many times to separate branches or tops of trees.
The real question is are you better at grafting than at layering?
I am surprised the top is still so healthy given it has been girdled for a couple of years.

NamesakE

Mame
Reaction score
Approach grafts have been used many times to separate branches or tops of trees.
The real question is are you better at grafting than at layering?
I am surprised the top is still so healthy given it has been girdled for a couple of year
I know it's a hail Mary pass but I'm out of ideas. I've checked it a couple times and it's deadwood for an inch and a half between the rootstock and the top. Both of which are doing great. I've used hormone powder, pumice, etc and it just won't root so I don't know what else to do. Anyways thanks for the answer. I'll guess I'll give it a shot.

Top Bottom