Another BIG American Hornbeam thread.

I would think long and hard before I cut any of the larger branches on this tree. That top branch feels real important to the design. The canopy need to be bigger than the way you show it to get the proportions right.

Very nice tree! Be sure you seal any cuts 1/4" or bigger IMMEDIATELY on hornbeam. Very thin bark, bigger cuts dry out fast and dieback a lot.
It looks like it's already been cut back to begin work on secondary branching. You scored on that one, that's a killer tree!

Rob, this is gonna be a great tree and you live in hornbeam country! I'm sorry I didn't see this thread earlier.

I really prefer the view that you've been considering as the front, because that large trunk move backwards when viewed from the other side doesn't feel welcoming.

That large top most branch going straight up implies that it's going to become a much larger tree, and you've said that's not your intention. I would cut that off, especially since (if that's the front) it presents as 3 branches in a row coming off the top.

I wondered about tilting it to the left, but this seems unnatural to a hornbeam in nature and would diminish the stateliness of a formidable tree.

Very nice tree! Be sure you seal any cuts 1/4" or bigger IMMEDIATELY on hornbeam. Very thin bark, bigger cuts dry out fast and dieback a lot.
It looks like it's already been cut back to begin work on secondary branching. You scored on that one, that's a killer tree!
Thanks- will do :)

Rob, this is gonna be a great tree and you live in hornbeam country! I'm sorry I didn't see this thread earlier.

I really prefer the view that you've been considering as the front, because that large trunk move backwards when viewed from the other side doesn't feel welcoming.

That large top most branch going straight up implies that it's going to become a much larger tree, and you've said that's not your intention. I would cut that off, especially since (if that's the front) it presents as 3 branches in a row coming off the top.

I wondered about tilting it to the left, but this seems unnatural to a hornbeam in nature and would diminish the stateliness of a formidable tree.
Thank you for the feedback-- I am leaning towards giving it this season going towards a taller tree and not doing any major cuts and then midsummer or early fall once it has had two growing seasons/ flushes of growth out of the ground, then take a pulse on how I am leaning. As long as the tree is still growing I will try and do seasonal updates and will gladly take suggestions :)

Just a spring update. I did very minimal work to it this spring-- wired a few branches, but mostly just used small guy wires to direct the young growth where to go. I am not deciding on a set front, or height yet but am mostly going to give it this year to just grow and get strong. PXL_20240217_210439583.jpgPXL_20240217_210446070.jpgPXL_20240217_210452987.jpgPXL_20240217_210508402.jpgPXL_20240217_210515025.jpg

Looks good.

One might want to double check the guy wires for slack. When we guy wire around the clock, so to speak, for some reason one side always ends up a bit slack.

Glad there were no cuts made as the taper looks good at this point.

cheers
DSD sends

That’s a sweet looking Hornbeam, I too am in the naturalistic boat. I really like the last photo as the front because it shows all the good scars and hole, would be some fun hollows.

Back
Top Bottom