Aids to get the triangle shapes while pruning

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Members,

Wondering if there are any tools out there that will aid me with the triangle shape for my trees? There are few potential solutions on amazon (see below). But I don't want to "reinvent the wheel" if someone has made something or found a better solution?

This is too big, expensive but it's the concept I am thinking about Can be adjusted: https://a.co/d/elFd6tT

I think I can make one with some cheap wood rulers and bolts..... but here I am asking you guys...

Thanks,

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can be easily made out of wood or something but does the shape really have to be a perfectly straight cut? I thought looking at the tree from some distance would do the job.

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can be easily made out of wood or something but does the shape really have to be a perfectly straight cut? I thought looking at the tree from some distance would do the job.
Correct I can do the job that way... but an aid would be good also.

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Correct I can do the job that way... but an aid would be good also.
I'd personally go for aluminium T-track profiles and a nut that will let you adjust the angles super easy. All you need is a drill and a couple of nuts and bolts really.
Click Me

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Members,

Wondering if there are any tools out there that will aid me with the triangle shape for my trees? There are few potential solutions on amazon (see below). But I don't want to "reinvent the wheel" if someone has made something or found a better solution?

This is too big, expensive but it's the concept I am thinking about Can be adjusted: https://a.co/d/elFd6tT

I think I can make one with some cheap wood rulers and bolts..... but here I am asking you guys...

Thanks,
Gotta say I'm scratching my head as to why this would be a solution to creating a bonsai. I haven't heard of anyone looking to do anything like using something to create triangles in a tree.

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just as a guide so you can get proportions worked out. Maybe its my landscape arch degree and going on the deep end of composition and proportions. Here is an article regarding creating triangle. It is one of many design principles. Hope your head does not itch to much...

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wondering if there are any tools out there that will aid me with the triangle shape for my trees?
Perhaps you are being too literal in your approach. The triangle shape is just a general guide. We aren't looking for topiary, but rather for a branch structure that gives the feel of a natural tree.

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I understand. And using the triangle as a guide and not topiary.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just as a guide so you can get proportions worked out. Maybe its my landscape arch degree and going on the deep end of composition and proportions. Here is an article regarding creating triangle. It is one of many design principles. Hope your head does not itch to much...

I understand the concept, but using triangles is ONE way to make a tree. It can be limiting, particularly when it comes to deciduous species.

Empty Mountain

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
612311.jpg

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nothing personal. Just never saw anybody taking a ruler to a tree. Bonsai is all about recreating nature and nature is never done with rulers..

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Styling to a conical/ or triangular shape can be helpful. I don’t think using a physical triangle tool is necessary, but could work.

Instead, try to see it within the tree.

This is one example I have where marking up a photo can be helpful to see.
IMG_9357.jpegIMG_9357.jpegIMG_8799.jpegIMG_8799.jpegSeeing these options, I chose something close to the magenta triangle IMG_9360.jpeg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I looked at the website, "Bonsai made Simple", that is the source of the misconception about triangles. Getting information from someone who clearly knows little about bonsai was the problem. "Brenda" is the author of the website, obviously she does not know much about bonsai , BUT she, "Brenda", IS an AMAZON SELLER. I bet "Brenda" makes decent money selling on Amazon.

If a website is all about selling, one should be skeptical about the information offered, especially if Amazon and Etsy and Redit are sources of low quality information.

Yes triangles are sometimes used i Bonsai. If you have an old 30-60-90 drafting triangle around, this can be held at arms length and used if you want to lay out a triangular arrangement. Remember, if and when triangular shapes are used in bonsai, a 45 degree triangle is usually avoided, some version of 30-60-90 is preferred.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You...are an overthinker like myself, study bonsai...over in Google images. Paying closer attention to the silhouette of the canopy. Will help fine tune your eye.

Best of luck to you. Try not to over think it. It falls into place eventually. 😉

~Enjoy your journey.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm in the, "you're overthinking it," camp, but I have also heard of devices being used like you're thinking in art classes. Generally it's help younger students (teen years most often) to get a better understanding of depth of field, and balance in an image. I once stumbled on a video I think where an instructor was compulsively drawing triangles on various page layouts to demonstrate what he believed to be effect desktop publishing skills, but when you factor in the act of reading text on the page it really all falls apart.

So, you're not crazy, but you won't need any such device for long, so, yes, you are overthinking it.

Top Bottom