Acer Palmatum (Amber Ghost) Summer Maintenance

Noizzz

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi there,

I acquired this Japanese Maple in spring and am wanting to train it as a bonsai. It was in the clearance section of a nursery and didn’t look to be in good health. After some pruning and a repot it has responded well so far. I have been feeding it, and I am getting a second explosion of growth. My question is, should I be doing any maintenance pruning throughout the summer to direct the structure, or just let it be for this year? It did also have a bout of phyllosticta but it appears to have cleared up. Thanks for any suggestions!

A62614F6-85CC-4434-BDB6-2126E5709355.jpeg

F4FA7889-920C-45A0-98F5-A3EC14D24B8A.jpeg

34615F62-FAB3-478B-817B-2611E15CB7D5.jpeg

0C273A23-4715-4B85-A801-597C3CFF4186.jpeg

46FF0549-3DFB-43E3-995F-64F565CDD56B.jpeg

129D152B-E5BF-4DEE-8BE4-AA20FC0E9A39.jpeg

B9B52B80-7663-483A-82E5-1EAA126C1537.jpeg

1496245F-AC8B-4B8F-9183-EB333C0EA5E3.jpeg

Welcome to the site!

I would leave it alone this summer and let it recover from your initial work. Additionally, next spring you might consider repotting it into a shallower, broader container to direct root growth horizontally instead of vertically.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site!

I would leave it along this summer and let it recover from your initial work. Additionally, next spring you might consider repotting it into a shallower, broader container to direct root growth horizontally instead of vertically.

Greetings, traveler! I see you have been conversing with the Big Nut. No need to go to my normal extravagant fanfare if you’ve already been welcomed by one of the “big dogs”

I agree with the information given you, but still want pics... selfishly. 😂😂

Also, if you update your profile info to reflect your location/climate (It can be vague, mine just says, NorthEastern Wisconsin.) The answers given to you can be synonymous with YOUR situation.

For example.. I’d care for a Acer P. differently in Norway, MI... then you would in say, Northern UK OR even Gattlinburg, TN...

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

This is a great site! Thank you for the warm welcome, and for your feedback. I sort of figured I should leave it alone, but seconded guessed myself after the second burst of growth. I have always wanted a Japanese Maple so I want to make sure I am giving it the best care possible. I definitely plan on getting it into a smaller pot next year... The material was so big initially, that was the only pot I had able to house it! The true test will be overwintering as I live in Southern Ontario. Thanks again for your help, it's nice to e-meet you!

This is a great site! Thank you for the warm welcome, and for your feedback. I sort of figured I should leave it alone, but seconded guessed myself after the second burst of growth. I have always wanted a Japanese Maple so I want to make sure I am giving it the best care possible. I definitely plan on getting it into a smaller pot next year... The material was so big initially, that was the only pot I had able to house it! The true test will be overwintering as I live in Southern Ontario. Thanks again for your help, it's nice to e-meet you!

Glad your here, bud. ;)

There’s a ton of people here from “the Great White North”.. and will have experience in overwinter protection...

You’re safe here, wanderer.

(P.s. If in doubt, “Here I go with the Nigel Saunders videos”)

🤓

Back
Top Bottom