5yr Native Tree Challenge - Trigo's Pitanga (Eugenia Uniflora, Surinam Cherry, Brazil Cherry) - Progress Thread

trigo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Starting late into the challenge, but better late than never right?

This is a pitanga yamadori collected on march of 2023, it was left on the ground to recover for 4 months, while on the ground it growed capilary roots closer to the trunk and sprouted some branches bellow the first trunk chop.

It was not collected by me, i bought it from a local yamadori collector. This tree have a really nice nebari, that i further corrected and cut down the tap root even further.
I bare rooted, washed all field soil of the roots, let it soak for 1 hour on a mix of systemic fungicide / insecticide and repoted it into my bonsai mix, mostly inorganic agreggate with some pine bark.

My plan is to make a broom style tree with it. There is a lot of work ahead but i think i can catch up, currently we are on our winter, so not the best time to repot, but i have a green house... That should give me a head start into the next spring.

The following photo is from the day that is was collected, among several others that are still there recovering:
3d6c029f-949f-4d10-8d32-91d0d02ef533.jpg

and here are all the steps i made after buying it and bringing it home:
IMG_4674.jpegIMG_4675.jpegIMG_4677.jpegIMG_4683.jpegIMG_4684.jpegIMG_4689.jpegIMG_4706.JPEGIMG_4707.JPEG

And here it is on my green house, together with some other plants to recover during our winter:
IMG_4711.JPEG

trigo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
After a month recovering on my greenhouse (we are currently on our winter here in brazil), washing off all the field soil, some further work on the nebari and a reduction of the tap root, pretty heavy work.

It's alive! Already started sprouting and it's growing fast. On this specie the new foliage sprouts are red, turning green after it matures.

IMG_5501.jpegIMG_5503.jpegIMG_5505.jpeg

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Really awesome roots on this thing. glad to see it doing well!

is that Osmocote in the tea bags?

Top Bottom