2015 Mugo

If the tree was mine I would be considering a 50% reduction of foliage, that's just me. Get rid of a lot of unnecessary over burden and open up the structure to see the inner branching. I don't understand why, with your experience with Mugo Pines, you are being so cautious with the tree. I noticed that with the Mugos you posted earlier they seemed to lack commitment. No insult intended but I have to call it like I see it understanding that you know the tree.

I understand, but I already took at least 1/3 of the foliage off it a week ago. I dont think I want to remove another 50% right now.

Its not so much commitment, but rather not enough time to work on them as I would like. This thing called "a job" keeps getting in the way, besides life in general.

I am always cautious with a good tree. I dont have the experience to know how far I can push a tree yet and I would rather not learn that lesson with a good tree.

This tree has the potential to be a fantastic tree IMO.

Last edited:
This tree has the potential to be a fantastic tree IMO.
I agree, the tree has very nice features...trunk, movement...and looks exceptionally healthy and strong. Maybe that is a reason why Vance encourages you to reduce it more.

Are you gonna wire it in fall? If yes, you might find many branches/branchlets redundant and go for removing them or shortening them down to viable branchlet, you will see. It is another good time of year to do it.

I agree, the tree has very nice features...trunk, movement...and looks exceptionally healthy and strong. Maybe that is a reason why Vance encourages you to reduce it more.

Are you gonna wire it in fall? If yes, you might find many branches/branchlets redundant and go for removing them or shortening them down to viable branchlet, you will see. It is another good time of year to do it.

Yes the plan is to re-wire it in the fall. I removed the wire it had on it about 3 weeks ago because it was starting to bite in. Ill let the tree get through the next month or so when they typically add wood to branches before applying wire again.

The one thing I have learned about Mugos is that they are tuff as hell and can take a lot more than a lot oa people think they can----during the growing season.

That is excellent progress!

I was thinking how many opportunities Mugo allow for change in direction...
Angle of forks...
Exit angles of fill branches....

Etc.

IMO...

Takes a while to dig in and chose!

Or you can just wait...
Cut it back again...
And just pick from New back buds!

I appreciate your slow approach Sandy.
Obviously the tree does too!

Provided your soil stays "fryable"? (Mirai)
For a couple years..which I know your soil will...

You WILL be able to skin it and wire it out within a couple years.

And it will be awesome!

Great start.

Thanks Lance

Sorce

Thanks Lance

You can see it somewhat in the last picture, but not really well. I did really remove a lot of needles and cut back a few branches. I went out and looked at the tree again yesterday afternoon. How much was removed really does not show well in that last picture.

What I can really see is how much it grew in just two years between the first and second pictures. I removed hal of left Y branch and wired the rest of the tree that year. Repotted it last year (summer) and removed the rest of the Y branch.

The right side of the tree just took off and grew like crazy.

This is why I love looking at pictures taken every 1-2 years as you work on a tree. You can really see the change that you just don't notice month after month as time goes by.

Last edited:
The only thing I might do now is cut back the apex a bit.

Back
Top Bottom