Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torrey Pine seeds available.

Thanks

Please delete.

Please delete.
    Last edited by Intriguedbybonsai; May 18th, 2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: not available

Thanks
    Being a park ranger, I would feel uncomfortable obtaining seeds that were taken from a State Reserve, especially if the tree is the rarest (meaning "endangered") pine in North America.
    Central Coast of California

Thanks
    That is very true, but if this tree (or any rare tree) is endangered, is it not best to get more of them growing? Seeing as most of them are eaten by birds and rodents.

Thanks
    I visited San Diego and the Torrey Pines area a few years ago, and I seem to recall that there were a lot of signs, postings, etc. asking people not to take cones from the area.

Thanks
    "That is very true, but if this tree (or any rare tree) is endangered, is it not best to get more of them growing? Seeing as most of them are eaten by birds and rodents."

Uh, you've basically committed what is probably a criminal misdemeanor offense and have been gently informed by a Park Ranger you might want to rethink your course...
    From the Torrey Pines rules list:
    "All natural or historic features are protected by state law. Do not collect pine cones. Do not pick wildflowers. They must be left to produce seed to grow new plants and as food for animals. Leave plants, animals, and rocks for the next visitor to enjoy."

FWIW, your reasoning that the seeds are somehow better off in the hands of people is one of the biggest problems our national parks have to deal with. There are specific rules prohibiting taking such materials out of national parks. The rules have a reason and aren't meant to just incovenience you. If everyone made the same assumption as you, there would be no seeds in the park to grow...The seeds you've taken definitely won't grow there now...

6. The following user says thank you to rockm for this post:

bonsai barry (May 2nd, 2012)

Thanks
    You're right everyone. I've already asked an administrator to delete/lock this thread. I did not realize the harm I was causing. I would rather not make enemies at this forum, or anywhere else. I feel as if I should return the seeds I took to the park.

Thanks
    Not enemies, but the people here do take the laws seriously, in most cases it is even unlawful to take rocks home from these places. You could mail them to the Parks office with an explanation, they might have a way to get them growing beter than you could. I say mail as a personal visit could turn into a long affair. Doesn't seem like there was any malintent on your part.
    If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it
    was probably worth it.

Never test the depth of the water with both feet..

Enjoy this day,
    Bill - aka Mcspeed

Thanks
    Like Bill says, you are no where near making enemies yet (this is a pretty forgiving bunch ). However they will tell you the truth, albeit unvarnished and blunt at times. Would you really want friends that did not do this for you? Kind of like telling you when your fly is down or you have a booger on your shirt. Good friends will always tell you.
    Rob Grace

Find me on Facebook

"The greatest service which can be rendered any country is to add an useful plant to it's culture..."--Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    You're hardly an enemy. I don't think you're terrible for picking up seeds, BUT there are laws involved and ignorance of the law is not a defense in court.

The implications of taking the seeds of an endangered species (and Torrey Pine is officially classified as such) can violate not only state and federal law, but international laws, especially if they're being distributed interstate or internationally. CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) is specifically aimed at this kind of thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CITES

Thanks
    You can purchase young Torrey Pine nursery material at the nursery of Theodore Payne foundation, in Sun Valley, California.

Here is the link:

http://www.theodorepayne.org/

They don't have it all the time, but they do sell them on and off. It also may be a faster way of developing pre-bonsai. Just give them a call and see if they have them on stock.
    Not the best subject if you ask me, the needles are way too long.

12. The following user says thank you to Attila Soos for this post:

Bonsai Nut (June 5th, 2012)