Zellova

luvudevinc

Seed
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could identify what is on my Zelkova branches. We have moved quite a bit and it has taken its toll but have never seen these white things on the branches. IMG_1710.jpegIMG_1709.jpeg

In addition to it being a Chinese elm, it is infested with scale. Touch each of those white spots with alcohol, and try to pick them off with tweezers, or scrub them off lightly with a toothbrush or scrubbing pad. Good luck, these are nasty.

In addition to it being a Chinese elm, it is infested with scale. Touch each of those white spots with alcohol, and try to pick them off with tweezers, or scrub them off lightly with a toothbrush or scrubbing pad. Good luck, these are nasty.
Great😞 i believe it is Chinese Elm too but the bonsai nursery i bought it from kept telling me no it’s a Zelkova. Will they kill it? Guess I have my work cut out for me! Thank you

Great😞 i believe it is Chinese Elm too but the bonsai nursery i bought it from kept telling me no it’s a Zelkova.
Of course they keep telling you it is zelkova. They are not allowed to sell Chinese elm so they must maintain the pretence that it is zelkova.
It is also possible they don't know any better. They purchase these from a wholesaler/importer labelled as zelkova (so the importer can bypass import restrictions) labelled as zelkova. Many resellers would not know what they are selling.

The scale are sucking sap out of your tree. They will affect health and growth. If there are enough they may even kill the tree.
Alcohol works very well. I've even sprayed it on with a spray bottle. Alcohol does not seem to affect the tree, only the bugs.
You will need to watch and treat again when the eggs these ones have left hatch out. Keep treating as often as they appear. It can take 3-4 treatments over several months to get them under control.

Of course they keep telling you it is zelkova. They are not allowed to sell Chinese elm so they must maintain the pretence that it is zelkova.
It is also possible they don't know any better. They purchase these from a wholesaler/importer labelled as zelkova (so the importer can bypass import restrictions) labelled as zelkova. Many resellers would not know what they are selling.

The scale are sucking sap out of your tree. They will affect health and growth. If there are enough they may even kill the tree.
Alcohol works very well. I've even sprayed it on with a spray bottle. Alcohol does not seem to affect the tree, only the bugs.
You will need to watch and treat again when the eggs these ones have left hatch out. Keep treating as often as they appear. It can take 3-4 treatments over several months to get them under control.
Thank you so much for the information. I have had this tree for ten years without an issue but moving around and not paying attention to what was going on has costly consequences. Just hope I can turn it around🙏

Back
Top Bottom