Tree identification: hard mode

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a number of trees growing on my property but I have no idea what they are. Is anyone able to tell by the bark? These are in North East Ohio. I chopped most of them 2 seasons ago and cut them back again today.

Beech? Hornbeam? I don't think they are elm. Certainly not oak or maple.
20240130_162053.jpg20240130_161710.jpg20240130_161413.jpg20240130_161409.jpg20240130_161718.jpg20240130_161255.jpg

Post photo’s of the buds at the end of the branches. That is also very useful in a winter ID.

Last one maybe a cherry. 3rd from last looks like sweet gum.

Post photo’s of the buds at the end of the branches. That is also very useful in a winter ID.

Last one maybe a cherry. 3rd from last looks like sweet gum.
Good advice. Yes, that is a cherry.
I know about the star leaves so I don't think it is a sweetgum, I would have remembered those. This might be the leaf.. 20240130_162021.jpg

The little ones don’t seem to be hit as hard as the big ones.

I know this is from a couple of months back but I stumbled on this thread by accident. I actually think the last one is Prunus Padus. Bird Cherry. If you break or scratch a twig and you can smell the scent of roasted almond then you're certain.

Figured I ought to ask for assistance on a pre-established ID thread instead of adding to the massive amount of them here....

Can anyone assist in identifying this tree? I tried to image search for id without success... It appears to have three leaves per bud and a Droopy section that holds seeds(like a golden chain but the seeds don't look the same.)

There are a ton of seedlings of this particular species and I'm tempted to start a clump style from them however I want to research the tree first!

Any help is appreciated
Edit- poor memory on description

Attachments

• IMG_20240502_183114827.jpg
    IMG_20240502_183114827.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 41
Figured I ought to ask for assistance on a pre-established ID thread instead of adding to the massive amount of them here....

Can anyone assist in identifying this tree? I tried to image search for id without success... It appears to have three leaves per bud and a Droopy section that holds seeds(like a golden chain but the seeds don't look the same.)

There are a ton of seedlings of this particular species and I'm tempted to start a clump style from them however I want to research the tree first!

Any help is appreciated
Boxelder maple? I have Couple of these collected which I wasnt Sure what it was when I marked It. If so probably not ideal tree. Wish I had Known before collecting mine.

Any help is appreciated

If this is acer negundo then also consider scanning around on the ground below the tree. In the leaf litter below you might find remnants of the fruit (seed pods), which is distinctly maple-like. Cool species.

I think it is just about the worst acer for a bonsai ......... or a yard specimen. Brittle and weak wooded and spreads like poison ivy. To each his own, but I regard it as a trash tree.

I think it is just about the worst acer for a bonsai ......... or a yard specimen. Brittle and weak wooded and spreads like poison ivy. To each his own, but I regard it as a trash tree.
Well that's great to know... Yeah I was considering some willow cuttings for a clump when I ran into it.. not sure if it is an Acer negundo... Didn't see any maple seedlings anywhere.. and the long golden bushy bits in the photo seem to be the seeds but I certainly could be wrong.... Either way there are probably 100 better seedlings to find rather then risk dedication to a trashy plant

Willow, is easier to work with than boxelder, Acer negundo,. and generally, willow, genus Salix, is considered less than ideal. Though I had some success with Salix nigra, black willow.
🤔 I see... Yeah Im far from eager to grow willow.. they drive me nuts in the environment however I know I can go grab a few sticks and get them to root... I truly just crave plant whips and no one sells them in my area meaning collecting is the best option for testing new techniques.... Any plant I should actively look for? (Working at a nursery I might get lucky here or there)

🤔 I see... Yeah Im far from eager to grow willow.. they drive me nuts in the environment however I know I can go grab a few sticks and get them to root... I truly just crave plant whips and no one sells them in my area meaning collecting is the best option for testing new techniques.... Any plant I should actively look for? (Working at a nursery I might get lucky here or there)

Since you work at a nursery, where is no limit to what you should look for. If you can provide windbreak winder protection you should look into Japanese maples, because zone 6a is not wildly out of the range for Japanese maples, some cultivars are noted for being more winter hardy than others. Investigate and try them.

I love Celtis, the hackberries, either the common (C occidentalis) or sugarberry (Celtis laevagatis) with the common being more winter hardy.

Amur maple of course - Acer ginnala, absolutely famous for winter hardiness, leaves reduce nicely, yellow to red autumn color and decent as bonsai.

Really, just about any species. Heck, you could have a fun day with a gallon size cotoneaster and have a passible shohin in one day.

Have fun

Since you work at a nursery, where is no limit to what you should look for. If you can provide windbreak winder protection you should look into Japanese maples, because zone 6a is not wildly out of the range for Japanese maples, some cultivars are noted for being more winter hardy than others. Investigate and try them.

I love Celtis, the hackberries, either the common (C occidentalis) or sugarberry (Celtis laevagatis) with the common being more winter hardy.

Amur maple of course - Acer ginnala, absolutely famous for winter hardiness, leaves reduce nicely, yellow to red autumn color and decent as bonsai.

Really, just about any species. Heck, you could have a fun day with a gallon size cotoneaster and have a passible shohin in one day.

Have fun
Annnddd I just noticed my info is off! I'm zone 5..

Tho we do we Japanese maples and they do fine up here with care... 🥺 I cant afford those beautiful trees, I'll certainly keep an eye out for volunteers but I think they are grafted so id have to pray for a seedling to somehow make its way into the pots!

Back
Top Bottom