prunus mume

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm interested in starting flowering apricot bonsai. I always see trees listed or named prunus mume but I see there are many variety. Does anyone know where I can find the Japanese names with photo of the flower to match? If you are growing one would you share with me the variety name and photo for inspiration? I heard peach is often not bonsai material. Apricots do they get the same leaf curl? Or what disease should I be aware of that is common in prunus mume? thank you so much!

I would recommend just getting a cutting-grown specimen instead of from seed. Cultivars typically do not reliably grow from seed.

I would recommend just getting a cutting-grown specimen instead of from seed. Cultivars typically do not reliably grow from seed.
thank you i do plan to do so. but i think there is only grafted options and none cutting grown.

thank you i do plan to do so. but i think there is only grafted options and none cutting grown.

Grafted are perfectly fine to start with!

Just plan ahead, air layer where you think would be a good start for the trunk.

Cuttings are always a fantastic choice,
Oh also if you do air layer it you then have a trunk you can graft plants on to give them a massive growth while using that as root stock

🤔 That's my thought at least

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm interested in starting flowering apricot bonsai. I always see trees listed or named prunus mume but I see there are many variety. Does anyone know where I can find the Japanese names with photo of the flower to match? If you are growing one would you share with me the variety name and photo for inspiration? I heard peach is often not bonsai material. Apricots do they get the same leaf curl? Or what disease should I be aware of that is common in prunus mume? thank you so much!
Almost anything in the Prunus family is going to be very disease susceptible, if you dont want to be spraying chemicals in your garden I would suggest you steer clear of them. an exhaustive list of all known cultivars would be quite the task as the known varieties are countless, as you can tell by the attached tree. In the United States, Ume is quite scarce, so its safe to assume your selections generally aren't going beyond: Yabai (White, wild morph), Benichidori, Bungo, Hokkai Bungo, Peggy-Clarke, Omoi-no-mama. Those varieties alone cover probably 95% of the Ume bonsai you'll see outside of Japan, China or Korea.

Attachments

• Phylogenetic_tree_and_ten_representative_traits_of_348_mei_accessions.jpg
    Phylogenetic_tree_and_ten_representative_traits_of_348_mei_accessions.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom