First Styling Twin Trunk Nana Juniper

LeoB

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just finished styling this nana juniper, I think I’m going for a twin trunk approach. I would love some feedback on how I did or if there things I could improve upon.

Attachments

• IMG_0135.jpeg
    IMG_0135.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0133.jpeg
    IMG_0133.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0134.jpeg
    IMG_0134.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 25
It's a good start for sure.
The wiring looks neat and the pads are well defined.

Just one thing I want to point out is that the lower left branch is as thick as the apex of the left trunk. The left branch also has more foliage than its apex. Meaning that over time, the branch will likely outgrow the apex. If you envision this plant without the wire, yes, it's logical that the lower branch is older and should be larger.. But combine the foliage excess and relative size, and it will also end up being the fastest growing part and thus elongate further than would fit the image in the near future.
That's why I prefer working/clipping junipers outside -> inwards. Keeping the smaller branches close to the trunk and growing those out to fit the design. In this case, I would have worked that branch back instead of keeping the outer foliar mass.
That's literally all I have to add. All things considered, this is good work. Nana buds back easily, so no need to do anything else for now, but any other type of juniper will be less forgiving in that sense. If you keep that in mind for the future, I bet you're going to make a bunch of awesome trees.

IMG_5566.jpeg
One option :)

Layering 3 branches all curling out and inward with foliage pads resting on top/stacked/creating an apex together

Back
Top Bottom