EWP with white flecks on trunk

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I noticed my eastern white pine has yellowing needles that are easily falling off. Upon closer inspection I saw white flecks on the trunk. At first I thought it was just the normal needle drop that white pines often do in fall but the white flecks have me a little concerned. The tree has seemed healthy all year after being collected in March.

2019-10-11 17.45.34.jpg2019-10-11 17.45.39.jpg

That is an adelgid. Essentially same family as mealy bugs. They suck sap and can kill a tree if their numbers get high enough.

Look for a pesticide that lists adelgids. If it lists mealy bugs, it will probably work, but if it lists adelgids, that would be better.

Imadiproclid us a systemic often recommended for this type of pest. Look for it Bonide Inc. has a couple different labels for it.

Try to gently scrub it off with a toothbrush and water. My EWP has a bit of sap ooze that looks similar that doesn't readily come off. On the other hand I had an infestation of bark aphids on my JWP this year - it does readily wash off.

So, if it is difficult to remove --> not to worry
If it is fairly easy to remove --> tread with NEEM or your choice of horticultural oil (and maybe scrub again in a little while with the same solution.

That is an adelgid. Essentially same family as mealy bugs. They suck sap and can kill a tree if their numbers get high enough.

Look for a pesticide that lists adelgids. If it lists mealy bugs, it will probably work, but if it lists adelgids, that would be better.

Imadiproclid us a systemic often recommended for this type of pest. Look for it Bonide Inc. has a couple different labels for it.
I'm going to do OSO's test and report back.

Try to gently scrub it off with a toothbrush and water. My EWP has a bit of sap ooze that looks similar that doesn't readily come off. On the other hand I had an infestation of bark aphids on my JWP this year - it does readily wash off.

So, if it is difficult to remove --> not to worry
If it is fairly easy to remove --> tread with NEEM or your choice of horticultural oil (and maybe scrub again in a little while with the same solution.

It was very easy to remove. Gonna NEEM it tomorrow.

Mine got them ( when in MI) all you need do is fill a spray bottle with Rubbing Alcohol (Methanol) and simply spray for 2 x a week and that is all it needs....nothing more.

Mine got them ( when in MI) all you need do is fill a spray bottle with Rubbing Alcohol (Methanol) and simply spray for 2 x a week and that is all it needs....nothing more.
Yes but dont light a Cigarette whle your doing it!!

Instead you can use gin in which case you can take a swig !!

Back
Top Bottom