Complete newbie - growing from seed (UK, zone 9a)

ForeverRaynning

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Almost three weeks and no signs of life from the pines yet. 😔 Just moved them to the top of the fridge, without the humidity dome. Will see if that coaxes them out, just need to remember they’re up there incase they any do sprout.

I know outside is best but we’re still getting frosts here, azalea’s already taken a hit and the beech aren’t showing any signs of life yet either… so its not really spring-y out there just yet. Do we think they’d be ok in the conservatory on the meantime? It gets the most direct and ambient light, south facing, not heated the same as rest of the house but no doubt warmer than outside and will at least protect from frost. Having said that, the trays do have that dome on that may provide the wind rain and frost protection whilst allowing as much sun as possible? But not agaisnt the low temps. I suppose thats where hardening off comes in? Will have to do some reading on that too.

ForeverRaynning

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I THINK, I see one of the seeds poking through the soil, so 1/11 has at least started sprouting, hopefully. When should I move it? I know they’ll need sunlight, but don’t know if any of the others will start sprouting if I leave it where it is now or if they’ll continue to sprout if i move it, beginning to wonder if its been too cold in the conservatory for them to sprout? Don’t want to move them into there and have them die due to the temperature drop overnight. I do have a windowsill in the kitchen thats south facing but not convinced it gets as much sun as the consevatory or upstairs windows.

How hardy will the new shoots be? How quickly will the lack of sunlight be an issue? Can I get away with leaving it a day or two to see if any of the others start to come through, then move it? At what point do they need to be moved, now when just a hint of seed is poking through or once its broken through properly? (I have a lot of questions, sorry!) If it is the increased temp on top of the fridge thats suddenly got them growing and not just a fluke, then moving it back into the colder conservatory may stop the others from germinating?

Just looked at the weather forcast and its going to be cloudy all week, assume that’ll also affect how much light they’ll get. I’m probably overthinking it. Just with only having one seed sprouting at the moment I’m nervous to make a mistake and lose it after all the waiting. At least now I know when I plant the next lot that I’m best putting them on top of the fridge right away.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Go to big box stores, find the biggest trunks, get your hands dirty, watch YouTube bonsai artists who practice different styles, roam the forums, and find something that snips your bud. Only way this is fun is if it gives you butterflies!

I'd you want to grow from seed that's totally cool, but you'll likely want some big plants quickly, then more, and more...there is one gentleman on here, I'm not sure of his username, but he grows lots from seed, and I'm sure your can search the forum and find pretty quick. Pretty sure his level on this site is Masterpiece, or something similar. Anyway, have fun.

Top Bottom