Blue Rug Juniper #1

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This tree has been on a ride. You can check back at this thread when I originally received it and the struggles I had with it: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/struggling-junipers.49569/page-3#post-857346

Over the past couple years I focused entirely on keeping the tree healthy. It’s over potted, but I plan to eventually move it to a smaller pot. After over 2 years it’s getting it’s first haircut and styling.

Before:
7B260B11-FEDB-471A-8D01-77ABF24B0F85.jpeg

After:
1F3B136D-72AE-4830-ABEA-10436D9BD04E.jpeg

I could touch up details more but it needs to grow out some first to really get strength in the branches I decided to keep.

Nice, I like the change in potting angle. I read through the previous thread - glad to see it seems to have rebounded nicely!

Not to jump the gun or anything, but you could definitely start gradually carving up a thin shari from the base of the trunk to at least 3 or 4 inches up, and creep it higher as the season goes on. I started my Parsoni shari last year and inched it up slowly without any adverse effects (tons of foliage and positive health last year).

I'm a big fan of the 'kidney shape' juniper (one sided shari) or 'figure 8' ( two sided shari with a twist, i just made these descriptive terms up). Starting early and getting that contrast in bulge from the live part and the sunken carved part can really improve your overall gratification with the tree without impacting its health. If you really overdo it in one go, you can lose branches, but if you gradually move it up, the juniper will re-route and adapt without issues.

Back
Top Bottom