Another neglected Juniper

I wish the trunk was more visible
I was just sitting on the porch and the evening Sun was coming through. Its elevated from my view point exposing some structure.
I am spending years correcting flaws begat from pinching to develop the pads. Back budding is promising as i go. So my older trees will take a lot longer to correct rather than just develop.
Develop and redevelop sat on the fence, develop fell off, so redevelop was left :D 20230411_184258.jpg20230411_185707.jpg

So "Dothan" is in need of repotting or else...when I'm outta town it could die from someone else
watering my plants thinking it has plenty of water as it pools and runs off not soaking in.
I can follow up with multiple waterings but not someone stopping by for a quick watering and feed the pets.
I found a couple of pots in the UK I want to get but nothing in stock that fits this year for me.
1714597404211.png

1714597511034.png

1714597477209.png

1714597652765.png
I really like these last 3 pots but #2 and 3 are out of stock ATM.
The last one ships from China, and could well be June when it got here which is beyond my comfort zone to repot.
The 1st one is in Maine, and could be 2 days or 2 weeks delivery which would work...
...but! I have one double banded oval left, that is a little bit big footed, but the walls taper in pretty good and
the height is the same as the mica pot it is in now.
DSC_1502.JPG
The mica pot on the right is same pot tree is in now. Pot on left I have on hand, unused and prepped.
We have a wane and rain weather pattern in 2 days, so this is prime time to repot for me if it's not windy as it has been.

This is where I purchased this juniper 2000 or 2004 I believe. So the name Dothan no longer stands.
I thought I purchased it in Dothan, but I was wrong. I have named a tree, Dori it will be.DSC_1503.JPG
Before repot

DSC_1508.JPG
Hollowed out the shin somewhat, and top soil worked on.

DSC_1511.JPG

DSC_1513.JPG

1714690456238.png
This tighter adult foliage it throws has made my open window for repotting a more difficult task.
It does not seem to get near as plump and juicy as the usual juvenile foliage which I prefer.
Should step down in pot size a little next time. @ToNeBCUK I think has the key to the pot I am looking for for this juniper.

When you initially dg for the root base on new nursery stock junipers, do you cut the roots that show up attached to the trunk that are above the sought after root base? Kind of like aerial roots, for lack of a better term?

When you initially dg for the root base on new nursery stock junipers, do you cut the roots that show up attached to the trunk that are above the sought after root base? Kind of like aerial roots, for lack of a better term?
dg = dig? If they're not part of the plan sure. The more work on top of the nebari, maybe a little less below I would recommend.
Also, I do more work underneath than on top, which limits the amount of dead roots left behind when working above.
3/8 maybe 1/2" trunks on procumbens tolerate bare rooting. So that would be a good approach to this problem of
leaving behind dead roots to rot as you could remove the most of them at the bare rooting.
If I cut roots above leaving the remainder below to rot, I would want to repot in 2 years instead of 3 or 4.
2 year repots may slow styling as you're constantly balancing vigour and work. Annual repots are not going to happen
with my juniper.

When you cut a root above nebari do you know how much roots are associated with it, and can you remove those roots?
Starting with younger material is always a good idea. Older nursery cans oftentimes have soil added on top of existing roots
which causes these unwanted roots up the trunk. Those roots are fine to remove, and hopefully layered atop the old roots
and more easily layered off as you tease out. It has been many many years since I purchased a 3 gallon juniper.
1 gallon nursery cans offer a better "painters palate", but slender trunks.

I found a few parsonii with buried trunks and the roots above some of the larger nebari are somewhat large, but the trunk texture on them is pretty weird. Is it too late in season to bare root? Last time didn't end well but it was July! These trunks at the base must be 6-8 inches, the last one i did from the same purchase group was 7. Pretty nice spread for nursery stock i think. Just normal box store finds. Ty20240504_134444.jpg

I found a few parsonii with buried trunks and the roots above some of the larger nebari are somewhat large, but the trunk texture on them is pretty weird. Is it too late in season to bare root? Last time didn't end well but it was July! These trunks at the base must be 6-8 inches, the last one i did from the same purchase group was 7. Pretty nice spread for nursery stock i think. Just normal box store finds. TyView attachment 544372
I would never bare root a juniper this big. You're running out of Spring if you want to work the roots now should be ok. Here, I like week 1 of May to repot.
I think you're zone 7 and maybe run hotter in Summer by a few degrees on avg.
Unless I knew the nebari was excellent underneath, I'd be tempted to use the root flare to add visual size appearance to trunk base.

I would never bare root a juniper this big. You're running out of Spring if you want to work the roots now should be ok. Here, I like week 1 of May to repot.
I think you're zone 7 and maybe run hotter in Summer by a few degrees on avg.
Unless I knew the nebari was excellent underneath, I'd be tempted to use the root flare to add visual size appearance to trunk base.
I didn't bare root it, and I've definitely read quite a bit about avoiding that w8th conifers most of the time. I kept the roots I had up top, loosened up the sides that were bound up, loosened the bottom that was root formed to the can, and uppotted to a #5. Gave it a thorough watering and will let the rain today provide some natural nutrients on day 1. Hopefully the trunk continues to thicken for a couple years and next year maybe some branch selection..., we'll see how she goes. Thanks again!

Is it too late in season to bare root?
I didn't bare root it
I didn't think you had :) When I say the root flare at the base, I mean like 10 yrs or more down the road.
Not that what's there isn't sizable, that's a nice looking trunk, but, if you raised what is showing of the root flare
in that pic eventually those roots will bark up and that whole area will solidify. #5 is sure to expand it.
We've already had a gusty 1.97" of rain today. Maybe heading your way.

Back
Top Bottom